Your Therapist’s Training
I truly feel that therapist-client fit is more of an alchemy than about trainings, titles or labels. I’ve never had a client that I didn’t sincerely care about, and if someone calls in and I think what they are looking for might be different from what I offer, I’d let them know and see if I can refer on to someone who might be a better fit.
I believe in being flexible in terms of how I work with someone as I think that it’s part of my job to attune to each unique individuals’ sets of needs. Some people need a place to just talk it out. Others want a more directive approach and are looking to acquire coping skills or learn new ways of relating.
That said, I do draw most strongly from certain pools of thinking and I do have a set of viewpoints like any other human. I think it’s important that you have the chance to get as much of a sense about my way of working and beliefs about healing and growth as you can because this knowledge can help empower your clarity around whether I’d be a fit for what you need right now.
I work with a variety of presenting issues. Working with so many different populations and concerns has always kept things interesting for me.
People are not their problems. That being said, I do have areas that I have focused in on. Though I work with some men and some with couples – 80% of my clients are women. Since beginning as a therapist in my practicum in 2010 in Reproductive Mental Health, and through the various organizations and centers that I have worked at since, I’ve spent hundreds hours working with young adults and middle-aged women in the areas of Mindfulness, Attachment, Boundaries, Break-ups, Self-love, Self-Compassion, Embodiment, Power, Purpose, Sexuality and Pleasure; receiving stories and tending to dreams.
To follow is my Academic training, further Psychotherapy training that I have attended online or in-person, and other areas of specialization that make me who I am as a therapist.
Master of Counselling Psychology; Adler University, 2009-2011. Thesis: a Heuristic approach exploring Mindfulness titled “What is Changing as I Practice Formal Meditation?”
Bachelor of Arts: Professional Communications; Royal Roads University, 2005-2006
Associate of Art Degree: Psychology; Camosun College, 2003-2005
– Dreamwork: Fate, The Destiny Line, Ritual & Shamanism | Ana Mozol; Online
– Rekindling Desire | Esther Perel; Online
– How to Work with the Part of Trauma That Your Client Can’t Verbalize | Dr. Peter Levine; Online
– Dreamwork For Yourself | Dr. Leslie Ellis; Online
– Dreams Demystified Online Course | Dr. Leslie Ellis; Vancouver, BC
– 2-year Focusing-Oriented Therapist Certification | Dr. Leslie Ellis; Vancouver, BC
– Mindful Self-Compassion Core Skills Training | Kristin Neff & Chris Germer
– Internal Family Systems (IFS) for Trauma, Anxiety, Depression, Addiction & More: An intensive online course | Dr. Rick Schwartz & Dr. Frank Anderson
– Somatic Experiencing, Step by Step: Master the body-oriented approach to Trauma and Stress Disorders| Dr. Peter Levine; Online
– Sensorimotor Psychotherapy for trauma| Dr. Janina Fisher; Online
– Art Therapy in Counselling | Adler School of Professional Psychology; Vancouver, BC
– Dreaming and Dream Interpretation in Counselling | Adler Center; Vancouver, BC
– Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT) | Dr. Sue Johnson, Ed.D; Online
– Women’s Depth Therapy | Ana Mozol; Adler University, Vancouver, BC
– Gestalt Therapy Workshop | Dr. Bea Mackay; Vancouver, BC
– Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Foundational Certificate | Behavioural Tech & Dr. Marsha Linehan; Online
– Mindfulness, Willingness and Radical Acceptance in Psychotherapy | Dr. Marsha Linehan, Seattle, WA
– Interpersonal Neurobiology (IPNB) 2-day training | Mindsight Institute, Dr. Dan Siegel; Victoria, BC
– Adlerian Approach to Dreams Workshop | The Adler Center; Vancouver, BC
– Adlerian Approach to Art Therapy Workshop | The Adler Center; Vancouver, BC
– Mindful Art Therapy Workshop | Dr. Duanita Eleniak, The Adler School; Vancouver, BC
– Mindful Eating Seminar | Skelly Publishing; Online
– An Introduction to Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy | (AEDP); Vancouver, BC
– Facilitated parenting group: “Discipline that Works” | Family Services of the North Shore; Vancouver, BC
Other Specialized Training or Experience
– Doula Training | Wise Women Way of Birth; Victoria, BC
– Holotropic Breathwork | Assisted Mentor Bruce Tobin at The Psychedelics and Psychotherapy Conferences 2015 & 2016; Victoria, BC
– Courting the Dream | Tokopa; Online
– Circlework Certificate| Jalaja Bonheim; Light on the Hill, New York
– Loving-Kindness Retreat & Work with plants | Spring Washam and facilitators; Tarapoto, Peru
– Vipassana 10-day Meditation Retreat | Merritt, BC
– Mindfulness Intensive 7-Day Meditation Retreat | Spirit Rock, CA
– The Art of Asking Beautiful Questions | weekend with David Whyte, Victoria, BC
– 7 Windows to the Soul: Chakra Weekend Workshop | Anodea Judith; Vancouver, BC
– Young Adults Mindfulness Intensive 7-Day Meditation Retreat | Spirit Rock, CA
– Insight Yoga Intensive | Sarah Powers; Esalen in Big Sur, CA)
– Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy – Level 1 | Vancouver, BC
– Restorative Yoga Level 1 | Tianne Allan; Vancouver, BC
– 200-hr Yoga Teacher Training | Karma Yoga; Vancouver, BC
– Dreamwalking: A Course On Dreams | Tokopa; Online
– Non-Violent Communication Training | Raj Gill; Vancouver, BC
– Feminine Treasures & The Tao of Love | Minke De Vos; Vancouver, BC
– Dependent Origination Meditation Workshop Retreat | Christina Feldman; UBC, Vancouver, BC
– Archetypal Dreamwork Retreat | Hollyhock; Vancouver, BC
– Awakening The Heart | Thich Nhat Hanh; UBC, Vancouver, BC
Join my mailing list to receive offers, insights, and new episodes of "Shakti Stories" to your inbox!
“Circlework provided for me a space to reflect and feel connected to myself and other women. To be able to take that feeling—that space—with me day to day provided me with a sense of empowerment and reassurance to any challenges I may face.”
-NADIA, VANCOUVER, BC